Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Tangerine Tango Week: Monday--Blase Apricot

 After a tiny little spree at Sephora this weekend in which I forgot to use the 15% off code they send me--doh!--I decided to make this week all about Pantone's color of the year, Tangerine Tango!
Orange is not all that easy for a lot of people to wear, and I must admit, for me, orange lipstick brings to mind an era in the 70s full of brown and orange clothes that I really hope won't return, no matter how many more seasons Madmen might have!
 Still, orange is one of my school colors, and I did always love to make a splash with it in college.
 So yesterday I built a makeup look around this monarch butterfly dress, with Revlon's classic lipstick Blase Apricot. Of course, I included the cat eye.

I used my favorite coral La Femme blush, but judging by these photos, I could have used a bit more. The light in my office is kind of blue. Really, my skin has some warm tones, which work nicely with this deep red-orange tone.
Here's what I used: 
Face:

Embryolisse Lait-Crème Concentre
Skin79 Super+ Beblesh Balm BB Cream
Coty Face Powder

Cheeks:

NYX Butt Naked Palette Contour under cheekbones and all over perimeter of face

Eyes:

Lids: Urban Decay Primer Potion
Anastasia Eye Duo from Brow Express Blonde--Lighter Color all over lid and deeper matte shade in crease
Makeup Forever Aqua Eyes waterproof pencil in black to make cat eye with flick, then blended with Real Techniques detailer brush
Maybelline Great Lash Mascara Waterproof in Black

Concealer:

Michael Marcus Concealer Wheel under eyes
Bare Escentuals Bisque to set concealer – let's see if it works! Time to foil that deadly raccoon eye!

Lips:

Revlon Blasé Apricot Lipstick patted on lips with fingertip
Results:
The lipstick unfortunately settled into my lip lines and started to look gooky later in the day. I remember this aroma of the Moondrops formula, and I'm thinking it's bringing me some not so nice 60s flashbacks. Definitely need to scrub the lips before using this lipstick, and maybe blot it a lot and top with a gloss, which isn't the retro look, but is practical for us modern gals.

The Bare Escentuals Bisque over the Michael Marcus concealer worked almost perfectly under my eyes -- only a bit of under eye liner crawl.  I hate that raccoon look, though! I want it to work perfectly! Maybe need to adjust my application.  I'll try a few things and report back.

Bought this dress at Nordstrom several years back.

Sephora's Burst of Mango Cream
Sephora's nail formula is a bit streaky, and 3 coats were necessary, but with Seche Vite's amazingly glossy topcoat, I've got a nice tropical nail look--Retro-Resort-Chic, I'm thinking.  Let's see if I can make it last all week!

Cheers, and go have fun today!

--BeautyJones

No comments:

Post a Comment